Tuesday, January 20, 2009

OBAMA!

Soooo...

I'll start from last week...
I finished up classes around noon on Tuesday. The next day was Dana's 21st, so we all went to an American sports cafe to celebrate...Then a bunch of the girls went to Harrod's on Wednesday and shopped around (mostly with the sale items :)

Thursday I had class again & went to the National Portrait Gallery with my Shakespeare class to research for Richard III.

Friday, Tagg (my flatmate who's been in London since August) gave me, Onalee & Emeri a tour of St. Paul's Cathedral. We couldn't walk all the way up and see the three domes, but we did get to go to the first level & there was a great view of the city. Then we went to the Museum of London & looked around the exhibits there (Anglo-Saxon England, the Great Fire, the Black Death). I love that all the museums in England are free.
We decided to try and see a play that night...Sometimes, you can go to the box office right before a show starts and get student or return tickets for a really good price...so we saw Les Miserables, for about 20 pounds...it was a little restricted view but still a really good show!

Saturday, Onalee, Emeri, Jaclyn, Henry & I went to Portobello Road. The market they have there every Saturday is pretty famous and just goes on forever.
Emeri and I wandered for a while...eventually splitting a jumbo sausage & then Onalee and I split a chocolate & strawberry crepe, sooo good!

Sunday, I had a bit of a lazy day. I've had a cold for about a week now, so that hasn't been too fun. I bought some school supplies I needed & wandered the area a bit. Plus, I had some reading to do.

Monday morning, we had our first Photography class, since the first class was technically canceled. I really like our professor and I think the class is going to be really cool. I already know so much more about my camera. We were supposed to go out and take pictures of anything and everything for an hour so I walked to the British Museum and just planted myself in one room for a while, taking pictures of the school children and random people. I have a couple ideas for my overall final project so I'm excited about that.
Then I had my Making of Modern England class. I like it a lot, it's just 3 hours long and extremely hard to sit through.

This morning, I did a walking tour of the neighborhood for my Bloomsbury class, seeing all the houses where members of the Bloomsbury Group lived and hung out.
Today, in honor of the inauguration, you could get into Madame Tussaud's for free with an American passport so Tagg, Kyle (my flatmates) & I went for a little over an hour after our classes. It was really fun, especially because it was free.

I just got back from watching the inauguration in our lecture hall in the study centre. I'm so happy right now and so excited to see what President Obama does in the coming months and years. Onalee and I both wore our Obama shirts all day and when we came into the hall, the library intern here at the centre asked if she could take our picture. Turns out, it was her grandfather who gave the benediction at the inauguration today. He was the head pastor at a Methodist church in Atlanta and marched with Martin Luther King, Jr. This was the coolest and craziest thing to me, that a girl sitting next to me in London had such a close connection to the inauguration.

I really wish I could have been in DC today, but everyone in London seems very excited about the inauguration as well.
We're all headed to the American Sports Cafe tonight to celebrate...

Today's been a good day...
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment